Jewish Museum in Sarajevo What to visit in Sarajevo
Chosen by readers of "The Jewish Daily Forward" Jewish Museum in Sarajevo is the first of the ten most extensive world's Jewish destinations to visit!
Jewish Museum is a depadans of the Sarajevo Museum, located in the former premises of the old Synagogue, the oldest synagogue in Bosnia and Herzegovina built in 1581. It was built in 1580th when Rumelian beglerbeg Sijamuš Pasha gave the money to build a large residential building for Jews Sephardim, who were, in 1566, expelled from Spain, arrived in Sarajevo and brought their customs and one of the most important manuscripts from the fifteenth century - the Sarajevo Haggadah. At the site of the former Sijavuš Pasha tambourine or large courtyard the construction started. By the end of the sixteenth century in the area of Great courtyard we have the first synagogue, the old Jewish synagogue.
The building was heavily damaged by fire in 1697th and in 1788th. After many difficulties and obtaining permission from Turkish authorities for the reconstruction of the 1794th, the synagogue was rebuilt in 1821. Last prayer was heard six days after the April siege in Sarajevo, in 1941.
During World War II, the synagogue was turned into a prison, and then in the warehouse. Since 1966, after restauration, the synagogue is the Jewish Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Documents and moving objects in the museum testify to the life and creativity of the people who have a significant share in the overall historical picture of this country
- Also known as: Old temple