Bascarsija was founded in 1462, when Isa-bey Ishakovic built an inn and number of shops. In that period, majority population lived around Emperor's mosque, which is located on the otherside of Miljacka river, so, Isa-bey Ishakovic built a bridge over the river in order to span main Sarajevan settlement with economic centre of the city. Sixteenth century was the best period in the history of Bascarsija. Great number of craftsmen had been associating in guilds, thus then Bascarsija had been partitioned in streets with similar craft shops. Therefore, the streets were named as Saraci (Saddlers), Kovaci (Blacksmiths), Kazandziluk (Coppersmiths), etc. According to some assessments, there were 12,000 shops in this period. Next century could have been disastrous for this old part of the city.Huge earthquake struck Sarajevo in 1640, and later in 1644 and 1656, it was affected by fires. Half a century later, in 1697, Eugene of Savoy fired and plundered entire city, when only several buildings remained untouched.
- Baščarija means: Main bazzar
- Position: Old town
- Old Town tour: 14,99 €/person
- Minimum booking: Three person
Nothing to show...